This is my final print for the etching critique on Wednesday. I am in love.
It’s been difficult to keep posting my work, but I’ve recently been introduced to the studio space and the wonderful options it has. For now I can really only put up progress I took with my phone (which is awful) to show what I’ve been working on. However, I am going to push to post about my typography projects, as well as the identity campaign I created in the summer.
Final Images for my lighting assignment.
The experience definitely gave me a new-found appreciation for studio lighting, or all lighting in general.
Yesterday I did an overcast photoshoot with Laura around campus.
It is really neat to play around with the different kinds of effects a flash can make.
I tried making my own toy camera, but it turned out a bit soft. Some of the pictures turned out to be kind of gorgeous though!
I can’t complain.
…except it is expensive for me to do. It is all a learning process, and boy am I learning the hard way.
These are my first steps using a pinhole camera. I feel like I have been missing out on something big.
Here are some of my favorite images so far.
Definitely a posting hiatus. I’ve been ridiculously busy with this semester. I took on a 17 credit course load, and with my two jobs, I have little free time. But I am still working, still pushing. Right now my focus is mainly on photography, but there are little bits of etching and typography that are going to pop up.
I am literally going crazy.
For my next project for corporate imagery, we had to come up with some sort of packaging for our product. Since mine is a non-profit for water conservation and the like, products are not an abundant forthcoming. I opted out for creating a design for a reusable tote to bring along to rallies or even to promote WFA at your local supermarket (or better yet farmer’s market!) It was pretty simple, so I designed a few buttons to add that little bit extra pizazz.
This was my screen before I refined it a bit more. I painted it with screen filler because I was afraid of trying photo emulsion, but next time I’m just going to suck it up and try using that for any more complex patterns I come up with. This took me forever to make, and there were a lot of mistakes.
This was the first experiment hung out on the clothesline to dry.
I’ll post the final bag and buttons I created once I can shoot them with my nice camera. Well, here is one of them. I played around a little bit with the logo.
I finally finished it! I’ll post more pictures once I receive it after critique. I received many weird looks when I was working on the cover in the print lab, but its supposed to be eye catching. But the black board cover was a pain, figuratively and literally. I cut my finger in the process but Winnie the Pooh bandaids were on hand so all is well.
Lesson learned: always make sure the blade is fresh when cutting mat board.
While I was working on my new Water for All pamphlet, I came up with the idea to make it so that it would fold into a size that would easily fit in someone’s back pocket. I was working on the schematics of it all, and was putting a lot of time into it, when I thought that it would be a good idea to make a mock up of the size that I had been working in. Too bad it didn’t work. The folds don’t line up any wear near where I need them to. So now I’m back to the drawing board. C’est la vie.
I just realized I never posted my final system for the Wishy Washy project. Wishy Washy is a fictional non-profit that promotes proper hygiene skills for children. They teach games and songs to help kids remember the proper amount of time to wash their hands, and other skills that can be overlooked.
I wanted the poster to seem whimsical for an appeal to children, but not be obnoxious enough so that adults won’t be bothered by seeing it. The lanyards implemented extra security for the workers identification, since they would be touring in elementary schools, daycare centers, and any other place that house small children. I definitely wanted to make security of the children a major priority. The tags for children emphasize their names so that the workers can call the children by their name easily to make the child feel more special. The tshirts I came up with have the alphabet printed on them backwards, so that when a child is washing their hands, it will appear the correct way when reflected in the mirror in the bathroom. Its a little reminder to sing through their ABC’s while washing in order to do so the proper amount of time.
There are lots of little details, so I apologize for posting so much about this. It was just one of my favorite projects!
According to the United Nations, unsanitary water kills more people worldwide than war. As the precious water supply dwindles, it may prove to be more than just a crisis for developing countries.
A collaboration between GOOD and Column Five Media
This is exactly the kind of information I’ve been researching for my project! It so refreshing to see it this way!